Friday, August 7, 2015

Ff Week #27--Covering Byrne!

I haven't spent a lot of time on the John Byrne era of the Fantastic Four this week, so just let me say...

















...I loved it.

Let me also add that I'm glad that post-Superman John Byrne didn't take on the book. Whether it was being spoiled by the ability to rebuild an icon from the ground-floor at DC, or just a general change in his overall style, Byrne's second stint at Marvel seemed obsessed with retcons and "hidden years," as if playing in a shared continuity was no longer good enough for him. He lost that sense of building and expanding, I think, that his FF run had, and moved on to a tearing-down and reshaping mode. or maybe it was just me...

3 comments:

SF said...

Dang. I think the two comic book runs I most regret not reading are Byrne's FF and Simonson's Thor...

Mista Whiskas said...

My God those are both wonderful covers in themselves and invoke the nostalgic delight of reading that run. Thanks

Tim Knight said...

Although I'd read FF before in black and white British reprints (and they were the earliest superheroes I remember as a kid), this was the era I that made me fall in love with the characters.

It has never been equaled.