Sunday, April 20, 2014

Tales From The Quarter Bin--Comics I'm Too Lazy To Translate For You!

Look, it's a lazy Sunday, and sometimes a Quarter Bin find fills the bill...

Oh, man!! An Italian comic?!?

Let's be honest...I'm far too lazy today to run all of this through Google Translate. Anyone more motivated than I, have fun...

As near as I can make out, this story is an Italian all original, based on a story idea from Karl Kessel...or maybe it's based on an actual published story? I don't recognize it, I was out of comics at the time...


Anyhow, without my doing much actual work, I can present to you the Italian Joker, who looks a bit like Jay Leno...
A major subplot involves Jimmy Olsen trying to get and publish a picture of Batman, to "prove" he actually exists, while James Gordon tries to convince him that the public knowing Batman is just a guy in a Clooney suit would be disastrous:





Meanwhile, a couple of brothers, for reasons I just couldn't be bothered to translate, have set loose the inmates at Striker and "Manicomio Arkham," and for reasons I couldn't quite comprehend, there's a bit of a turf war running through the streets of Gotham. For example, Bloodpsort vs. Deadshot!

Or Poison Ivy vs Metallo!!

Plus..the Joker attacks Jimmy Olsen with a baseball bat!!

But don't worry--help is arriving!!


Wait...let's look at Italian Superman again:

Damn, what a smug bastard!

Anyhoo, Italian Azrael whops Metallo, because Italian Azrael rocks!!

And Superboy and Robin team up to take out Ivy...

Jimmy gets his picture...

But he has his "Ben Urich" moment, and erases it...


Lois dances with Alfred...

And Clark and Bruce have one of their "I do things my way, you do things your way, and together we make the world a better place" scenes (well, I assume they do...once again, too lazy to translate):




FINE, indeed, mysterious Italian comic book I don't truly understand. Fine indeed!

From Superman Nuova Serie #6 (2000)

1 comment:

Britt Reid said...

Italian reprint of Batman & Superman: World's Finest 10-issue mini-series from 1999.
Originally published in America (in English).
http://www.comics.org/series/13750/covers/