Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Strange Candy

You know what freaks me out the most about British comic books?

It's the ads for weird candies that I've never heard of before:

I mean, it's like they're a weird alternate universe over there, where one trivial yet glaring detail is different, so you just know they're evil or pod people or something. They speak the same language we do (sort of), they read many of the same comics we do, watch many of the same movie and TV shows--but they have these weird freaky candy things that I've never heard of before, and that just creeps me out!!!

Sorry, lost control there. Nothing personal, British readers. I know it's just me, and not you. I guess I'll just relax and have a Snickers. You do have those over there...don't you? Don't you???

From 2000 AD #217 (1981).

6 comments:

Stephen said...

Private Sweetly...? Facehugger seeds. Definitely.

Dougie said...

I'm bloody ancient and I've never heard of them. I remember that Battle incorporated Action (which was infamous in the Seventies in the UK for over-the-top violence) but Sweetly Fruit Gums? New one to me.

Al Ewing said...

A... 'Snickers'? Surely you mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfPum7kZWuI

(Or you would have then.)

snell said...

Oh, lordy, is there nothing that Britain cannot ruin? Snickers, man...SNICKERS!!!

googum said...

Don't look at me, I've always been stuck on British money. Schillings? Pence? Pounds? What the hell? And some obviously made up for Judge Dredd sounding thing, "ur-o's."

Pippy said...

Actually they changed the name for marathon in the UK to snickers to bring it into line with the new world order's chocolate bar regime 20 or 30 years ago or sometime last millenium anyway