Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Speaking Of Female Action Heroes Debuting In Black Diamond #1...

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention yesterday that Sybil Danning IS Black Diamond #1 (1983) had a back-up feature:

AmeriComics sure had a thing about not bothering with origin stories, eh? They did the same thing with the Black Diamond lead story--just give us a big ol' block of text explaining the origin/premise, then leap right into a story in the middle of their career. No messing around, just straight into the action!! A number one issue is no place for backstory and exposition, after all!!

So, let's take a look at Valencia Kirk, a.k.a. Colt, The Weapons Mistress:

Hubba hubba.

I've got to say...I approve of the costume.

Colt, by the way, lasted far longer than the book's star, Black Diamond. That book died after only 5 issues, whereas Colt went on to join FemForce, and even had a special or two of her own.

So, our lesson is: secret agents based on an exploitation film star, even with Gulacy covers--fail. Chicks with bare midriffs and costume design by gay pirate cowboys: success!!

And all hail AC Comics, who, even though it was dressed in exploitation and cheesecake, were giving us plenty of female comic heroes at a time when the Big Two were pretty much twiddling their thumbs...

3 comments:

Matthew said...

I was never a fan of Sybil Danning, in anything, so I never bought the comic. I kind of wish I had now for Colt. I really like her design and am a fan of stret-level heroes in General. Honestly, she reminds me a little of DC's original vigilante, who is a favorite of mine. A cross-company team-up would have been fun.

Matthew said...

I was never a fan of Sybil Danning, in anything, so I never bought the comic. I kind of wish I had now for Colt. I really like her design and am a fan of stret-level heroes in General. Honestly, she reminds me a little of DC's original vigilante, who is a favorite of mine. A cross-company team-up would have been fun.

Doc Savage said...

Colt versus the Moon guy was a fun backup serial in Femforce. AC was actually pretty good before they went all-cheesecake-all-the-time. The hot girls were initially incidental and frequently no more cheesecakey than Marvel and DC at the time.