Sunday, August 23, 2009

Bye, Mark

It's suddenly a sad day in the blogosphere, as my pal Mark has decided to bring an end to his blog, Comic Coverage, after a 3-year run.

On a personal note, early on in my blogging days I received a very encouraging email from Mark. And he was one of the first to link to me here at Slay Monstrobot. Not to mention, his was one of the first comic blogs I read regularly, and a part of my inspiration to do my own blog. So, in a very real sense, he's to blame for my being here.

Mark brought a unique perspective to the comics blogosphere, with his vast experience (i.e., he's almost as old as I am) and near encyclopedic knowledge of comics books backing up his love for the medium.

Plus, and perhaps most importantly, his position as an actual working (and paid!) artist gave him a perspective too often missing from comic criticism, and gave extra credibility to his work, especial in features like "WORST Covers Ever."

Damn, he can write AND draw? No wonder his blog was so good...

So good luck to you, Mark, in whatever adventures your post-blog life takes you to. You'll be missed around here...and I hope you'll still drop by with your comments and observations.

And all my readers, swing by his old crib, wallow in his archives, and see how it's supposed to be done.

3 comments:

Mark Engblom said...

Wow! What can I say....but "thank you"? I had no idea I gave you the bug to start your own blog....but now that I know, I'm very happy to have played a part in what *I* consider to be the best comic book blog out there. Hands down.

In fact, Monstrobot is one of the two blogs I read *every single day*. I love your sense of humor and good-natured outrage at the assorted nit-wittery of the current comic book scene...a swamp I decided to avoid almost entirely.

I hope Monstrobot continues for a long time. Thanks for your kind words and your non-stop quality....which absolutely kept me sharp when it came to my own blog.

Anthony W said...

Awwww man, I had that blog in my favorites list. The crazy little comic test were really fun!

Anonymous said...

That kinda sucks. His blog and this one are two of the places on the internet that I am guaranteed to be entertained (the majority of the time vastly more entertaining than the comics that I buy for that purpose, but I digress). He will be missed. Also, bravo on the tip of the hat to him.