Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A Dog's Life?

A note on the "new direction" in She-Hulk that started last week:

What, no World War Hulk tie-in?A bounty hunter? That's your new direction, Peter David? Aren't bounty hunters sooo three years ago? Dog and Domino--you don't hear a lot of people talking about them any more, do you? Oh, yeah, there was a Law & Order episode--8 years ago.

Besides, in the current Marvel universe, doesn't hunting down hiding super-villains fall more under the purview of the Initiative, or the Thunderbolts, or Heroes for Hire? It seems likes half the Marvel teams are now in the business of hunting down unregistered hiding villains, and I don't see what She-Hulk (and partner?) bring to the table that those others don't. Was the Minnesota Initiative so busy that they couldn't be bothered with this? And Tony Stark is allowing you to do this?

(Which brings me to a snotty aside: since one of the big deals about the *ahem* ending of Civil War was the 50 State Initiative, where every state had its own superhero team...where are they? Aside from the Champions I mean Order, have we seen any of them? Anywhere? Hello? Can we please see some stories on the Rhode Island Initiative?)

Anyway, I'll grant that we don't know the full background of Jen's new life yet, so future revelations may make more sense. The jury is definitely still out. And David's first issue was certainly well-executed and readable. It's not like I'm dropping the book or anything.

But a bounty hunter? That's almost as innovative as having her be on a reality show, or working as a bodyguard for a boy band. It's 2007, nearly 2008, Peter. Let's not make our "new direction" yesterday's hip trend, OK?

I'm trying to think up a lame transition from this to plugging my upcoming 100th post, but I can't really come up with one. Just be around Thursday(ish). I promise not to mention Civil War or Countdown. Really. Meanwhile, the cover was from She-Hulk #22.

2 comments:

Captain Infinity said...

A few points if I may:

To be fair, Peter David never said it was going to be an innovative new direction, did he? Simply "new," and that's what we got. You say bounty hunter is yesterday's hip trend. What current hip trend would you have preferred he jump on?

As for this job being the jurisdiction of the Initiative, I disagree there as well. Hi-Lite probably is registered. He was probably automatically registered when he was arrested. But Jen's not after him for that. She's after him for jumping bail (I will concede that the Heroes for Hire fit the bill here.)

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, I just think you're being a bit harsh.

Oh, and bounty hunters aren't played out due to the likes of Dog or Domino. Bounty hunters were played out with The Fall Guy. It's just one of those careers that seems to gain new notoriety every so often.

snell said...

Points are always welcome, Captain!

I was probably a bit harsh, although I did say I liked the mag. Then again, as a Monstrobot, harshness and slaying are pretty much what keeps me going...

I should point out, regarding registration, that Peter Parker was registered, and "quitting" by moving out of Avengers mansion was enough to send the Initiative hunting him down. And again, it's not like the Minnesota Initiative was saving the world or anything...so if they can't hunt down a fugitive super-villain (who just happens to be staying with 2 other super-villains!), well, what are my tax dollars being spent on??