Saturday, July 21, 2007

Slay, Monstrobot of the Deep!!!

1st question: why the title?



a) because it's one of my favorite comics quotes, from Master of Kung Fu #75. I mean, really...when you've got the son of Fu Manchu, working for MI-6, being pursued by a cute little killer robot, who is in turn commanding his giant aquatic robot minion (in convenient monster form) to kill Shang Chi, well, how can that not be your favorite quote? I still blurt this out randomly in public, much to my friends' chagrin.



b) I've got some heavy duty slaying to do.



I love comic books. I loooooooooove them. I spend about a gazillion dollars a week on them. I get cold sweats and palpitations when I can't make it to my local comic shop early Wednesday afternoons. I can't remember my own phone number, but I can tell you the civilian names of all of the Legion of Superheroes (all versions).

So when I whine about how, recently, Marvel and DC have been engaging in a race to see who can flush themselves down the crapper fastest, I say it with love. And when I say mean, vicious things about some of the writers and artists and editors and publishers, it's because I care about the medium, about the art form, about the characters I love, and used to love (I'm talking about you, Tony Stark...).

And since I'm such a good-hearted fool, I'm sure I'll have plenty of good things to say, too. Because sometimes, a Monstrobot from the Deep can slay with kindness, too.

2nd thing: I've never written a blog before, I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't know HTML (am I the only one in the world who pronounces that "hate mail?" Once again, I chagrin my friends...). This is all new to me. So things will be a little rough around the edges until I get my feet wet.


There...that's probably the only apology you'll ever read from me. So on with the slayage!!

PS--bonus karma points who can guess my second favorite Master of Kung Fu quote ever. HINT: it's on the cover of that particular issue...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ehm... still only 35 cents???

snell said...

Yeah, those were the days. Cheap paper, flimsy covers, filled with a billion cratacular and tiny ads...but only 35¢!!

Anonymous said...

And I wondered if this would be a Cat Yronwode blog...

MarvelX42 said...

You know that you have run out of ideas when you say, meh, just have him fight a giant robot monster.